In this episode, our hosts Andy, John, and Drew are joined by Molly Estes and Geoff Comp to discuss some of their favorite sayings, least favorite sayings, and the roles they play in their lives.
- “When you know better, you do better.” – Maya Angelou
- Most people do the best they can with the knowledge they have.
- This phrase reminds us to have grace for people when they make decisions we would not have made or don’t fully understand.
- This phrase is a particularly helpful reminder in emergency medicine, as many patients will end up in front of you due to decisions you don’t fully understand.
- Acting as both their doctor and their judge would make your job much harder.
- What matters most is how you walk through the fire.
- When there’s a challenge, you can control how you respond to the situation.
- When life closes a door it opens a window.
- You can recover from failure. There are times in our lives when we don’t perform to the expectations of ourselves or others, however, there is always something that can be gained or learned from it.
- “Gold medals are not made out of gold, but they are made out of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.” – Dan Gable
- This is a succinct and inclusive way of addressing a group of people
- Can be used instead of “you guys”
Least Favorite Sayings:
- It is what it is.
- It can sound like an indication of giving up or premature closure in response to hardship.
- This is not to say that there is no benefit to accepting situations that are out of your control, but the context and what you do afterward matters.
- Don’t let great be the enemy of good.
- This phrase can be another example of one that portrays acceptance of mediocrity.
- What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger
- Because what doesn’t kill you can still break you irrecoverably
Post by Jordan Palmer, OMS-III
About Our Guests:
Molly Estes, MD is a long-time friend and multi-episode guest of the show. She is currently the Clerkship and MedEd Fellowship Director, at Loma Linda University Health
Geoff Comp, DO is a long-time friend and multi-episode guest of the show. He is currently the Assistant Program Director, at Creighton UniversitySOM/Valleywise Health Medical Center Emergency Medicine Residency
Looking For More?
More from Andy, Tanner, John, and Drew: Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter for more information about what the team is reading, listening to and so much more!
More of your favorite EM Over Easy content: As always, you can find more of your favorite EM Over Easy content by following us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram! Also, please rate us on your favorite podcasting app or by visiting MedForums.
As the OFFICIAL podcast of the ACOEP, be sure to check out the ACOEP by visiting acoep.org to learn more and to sign up for one of their many CME offerings.