Post by Rick Dasilva
It is the beginning of the work week whether it is on a Monday or a Saturday and you wake up and the first thought that comes across is “I really hope this week is not going to be as bad as last week”. The initial thought process can overall be the key of how we perceive our day whether in reality it is as bad as we thought it to be. In this episode, we have our hosts Andy, John and Drew who discuss the thoughts and actions we create our own positive versus negative narratives.
Waking Up with a Positive Mindset
- Telling yourself you can conquer all of your challenges
- Maintaining a good mindset for upcoming meetings
- Positive pregame prior into shift-
- Listening to music
- Avoiding possible stressors (Phone calls etc.)
Waking Up with a Negative Mindset
- Starting out thinking the day negatively
- Old bad thoughts and memories cloud the day
- Knowing there will negative interactions consultant/patients
- Coming in with a stressful thoughts of critical/complicated patients
It is much easier to make “bad stories than good stories” as some days are harder than others on keeping a positive thought process. At these times we have to acknowledge our victories and failures and sometimes failures can be our best teachers. Sometimes all it takes is giving yourself credit for your accomplishments, no matter how big or small. This can be as simple as starting the day right like making your bed. Don’t dwell on your mistakes or shortcomings – learn from them and move on. Acknowledge your feelings, both good and bad, without judgment. Find something to be happy about each day, even if it’s just a little thing.
- Creating your own narrative.
- Able to recognize when the narrative is more positive than initially thought to be
- Uplifting others to help encourage them to do as well as you
- Background factors;
- Having good support systems
- Personal positive self talk
- Talk to yourself the way you would talk to your best friend
- Be gentle and forgiving – no one is perfect
- Giving yourself the pep talk and self motivation without needing the assistance
- You control the narrative varying on your day is a positive or negative outlook.
- There are times to go back and reflect on the negative, but do not let it impact your entire outlook.
- Understanding not everything in life is positive and to make do with what you have for the best. “Just keep Swimming” -Dory
Listen to the Episode
Looking For More?
More from Andy, Tanner, John and Drew: Be sure to subscribe to our new newsletter for more information about what the team is reading, listening to and so much more!
More of your favorite EM Over Easy content: As always, you can find more of your favorite EM Over Easy content by following us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram! Also, please rate us on your favorite podcasting app or by visiting MedForums.
As the OFFICIAL podcast of the ACOEP, be sure to check out the ACOEP by visiting aceop.org to learn more and to sign up for one of their many CME offerings.